GEAR REVIEW: ZEPHYR BY AFI CUSTOMS

Hi, everyone. Here’s my review of the Zephyr delrin encased 18650 mechanical tube mod by AFI Customs ℅ sir Ryk Ledesma. It's an old review I posted on the Tube Mods Philippines Reloaded group on Facebook. Enjoy!


The Zephyr takes the top spot of my anticipated mech mods list. I’ve always wanted to own it after trying one. It’s sleek, compact, fairly light, and hits hard. I got this straight from sir Ryk Ledesma along with the X-tension tube for series configuration. I’ve waited for months till I could finally get one and it was worth the wait to say the least. Read on to find out why.
Here are the pros and cons in my opinion...
Pros:
Aesthetics - The Zephyr is a simple looking mod. Aside from the aluminum inlay and grooves on the bottom part of the mod, there’s nothing really much to it. There are no fancy designs, gimmicks, or anything to make it stand out and I think that’s why I loved it so much. It has this unassuming design that begs for closer inspection. I’ll elaborate on this later on.
Machining - The machining on the Zephyr is amazing. You can tell that it was cared for by the machinist to ensure that components complemented each other not only in looks but also in performance. The delrin body is bead blasted, not just simply cut and polished. The brass top cap is filled with useful detail and the threads are as smooth as they can get. Fresh out of the factory, you can’t fault the Zephyr when it comes to machining.
Power - I have to say, the Zephyr also takes one of the top spots in my list when it comes to power. Even without regular cleaning, this mod can still produce thick plumes that any cloud chaser will love. Mind you, it’s not a hybrid mech mod.
Safety - We have a winner! The Zephyr probably has one of my favorite features in all of my mods - a firing pin lock mechanism. Just turn the knurled firing button housing to the left and you’re good to go. No accidental firing in your pocket or in your bag. It’s one of those features that I would like to see on side firing mech mods in the market right now. Also, the Zephyr has an adjustable 510 pin so it can fit your atomizers regardless of pin length or thread count. P.S. the peek insulator for the 510 pin is on the thicker side.
Ergonomics - A joy to use and a joy to handle. The Zephyr has a rounded side so it can comfortably rest on your palm. Use your thumb or your index finger to fire, no problem. The fit and finish of the bead blasted delrin body and the bevels on the edge and corners of the mod also add to its overall comfort and grip. The bottom contact cap is also chunky and easy to grip. Definitely a plus for me, especially when you need to change batteries.
Maintenance - You can go weeks without cleaning the Zephyr and it still functions well. No exposed metal parts means it’s not a fingerprint magnet. That’s always a welcome feature for vapers who have sweaty hands like me.
Price - At P2,900, it’s a good deal if you ask me. You get all these features for a very reasonable price. It’s not the most affordable mod out there but really, you can’t put a price on the quality and design that this mod has.
Versatility - Did I mention earlier that it also has a stacked extension tube? Yes, ladies and gents. You can run your crazy series builds on the Zephyr by simply attaching the X-tension tube and connector at the bottom of the mod. Heating is also minimal thanks to the generous delrin body that fully hugs the inner copper tube.

Cons:
Firing - I prefer a tighter throw so this is fairly subjective. Also, I think the firing pin could have been thicker to reduce heating in the delrin firing button.
Scratches - The delrin body can and will get scratched due to frequent use so you best take care of your mod. I hate seeing scratches on my gear but I’m pretty rough on them since I like to push them through the ringer. The bead blasting finish is just so gorgeous IMO.
Stacked extension - It may look awkward for others and intimidating for some. It can also affect the compact and sleek look for users who prefer a more stealthy setup. That’s about it really. Subjective.
TLDR Summary: A really great Ph-made mechanical mod! I’d buy one in different editions if only AFI Customs would do it. Just a few more tweaks on the firing button and it’s near perfect for me. Ehem ehem maybe ultem buttons or hybrid editions ehem ehem. I’d definitely buy another one just for display. I’d even recommend it for users who are looking to explore other single battery mech mods. Honestly, this mod doesn’t get the attention it deserves. It’s underrated and maybe that’s why it’s so satisfying to own and use.
Contact sir Ryk or hit up the AFI Customs page for orders and inquiries.
Comment down below if you have particular mods or atomizers that you'd like me to review next. Thanks for reading!





P.S.
X-tension tube is P850. Inner copper tubes are force fitted into the delrin body so you can't take it out for cleaning. What's neat about it is that it can be soaked in vinegar for cleaning without damaging the bead blasted delrin body. You may also polish the threads of the inner tubes for a thorough clean.

Credits to bro Andrei Ceriales for the last two photos.

Comments

  1. Vapesourcing.com is one of the world's leading producers of electronic cigarette products. The company was founded in 2014, and offers best customer service options through their live sales chat, toll-free number or email. Buy good product in https://vapesourcing.com/smok-mag-baby-kit-with-tfv12-baby-prince-tank-50w.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

GEAR REVIEW: ANDROMEDA RDA BY VAPING CHRONOLOGY