GEAR REVIEW: BNV TUBE MOD BY BENEVI MODS

BNV Tube and Rook RDA by Benevi Mods © Benevi Mods
Big, bad, brass. Let's take a look at the BNV Tube Mod by Benevi Mods.
I've been eyeing the BNV Tube for quite some time before I actually managed to get my hands on one. Thanks to a good friend and the modder himself, I was able to cop a unit and see for myself what this particular tube is all about.

The BNV Tube is a 25mm all brass mechanical mod. It has all copper contacts, has a hybrid connection, and is capable of running 18650, 20700, and 21700 cells. You can find fine knurling on the bottom part of the inner tube as well as part of the button assembly. On the button itself you'll find an intricately engraved logo of the company. Lastly, it has a locking mechanism that you can twist to keep the mod from firing.

As far as first impressions go, the BNV Tube looks plain from the get-go. The brass sleeve doesn't have any engravings on it but there are other available sleeve options, you just have to strike a deal with the modder himself. I heard that there are other sleeve materials but I have yet to see them. A good friend of mine who also got the BNV had his sleeve fully engraved. Nice touch if you ask me.

Now, on to the review:

PROS:


Aesthetics - I am digging the look of the BNV. I like how simple it looks, like a breakaway from over-designed tube mods in the local market. At times though I wish I can have the sleeve engraved to feature a personalized design but I still haven't decided to go through with that or a custom paint job. The engraving on the button is deep and detailed.

Power - This is my first all-brass mod and I was not disappointed. Power is noticeable and it's consistent. It must have something to do with the internals of the mod. I gave this unit a hard time — one whole month without polishing or cleaning (aside from the occasional wipe down with alcohol and cloth) and it still performed.

Design - One thing that I particularly look for in a mechanical mod is the design of the internals. Does it handle heat well? Does it have sweet spots for the switch? Will it have hot button issues? Arcing? It's easy to say that the BNV's design handles these things really well. 

I ran the BNV with my 18650 battery so I had to use the delrin battery adapter. The copper pin on the battery adapter is always in contact with the battery so there is less chance of arcing even when using low builds.



Hot button isn't an issue despite the button being made completely out of brass. Spring is also held in place by a delrin stopper to avoid deformation due to regular use.

Price - The BNV retails for around P3,500 and I think that's a good price point. Not too expensive and not too cheap that it sacrifices performance. Price is spot on for anyone who's looking for a mechanical tube mod that will fire even after years of use.

BNV button housing and locking mechanism © Benevi Mods

Machining - The BNV Tube has squared threads so there is less chance to strip the threads. Good touch in my opinion. Plus points again for the button engraving.

Venting - There's sufficient vent holes at the button housing. I run my battery upside down on the BNV to make the most of this feature in case my cell does decide to vent.

Durability - This mod is built like a true workhorse. Brought it to the beach, to night outs with friends, to the office — basically it goes where I go and the scratches and dings only add to the mod's character. It did age a bit after one month of no proper cleaning and a drop from a table but nothing major. It came out with just a dent on the button, the sleeve, the top cap, and a story to tell.

CONS:



Sleeve - The brass sleeve spins. Tolerance isn't quite right to address this. What I did was use a thin o-ring from a spare atomizer and placed it at the bottom of the inner tube. This way, the sleeve won't spin after I tighten the hybrid top cap. Sleeve spin can be a bit annoying especially if you're not used to using a mod with a sleeve.

Knurling - I must say that the knurling feature of the BNV is a good touch. It gives you good grip when you're fiddling with the mod. But what I noticed is that the knurling is uneven on some parts of the tube. Some parts have finer knurling while the other parts, not so much. I think this could have been improved more in the machining phase. 

Also, as there are grooves in the mod, metal polish tends to sink into them thus requiring a bit more effort in the cleaning process so that's a subjective con.

Locking mechanism - Props to Benevi Mods for thinking of adding a locking mechanism to the device. This is a feature that we don't usually see nowadays in the local market but it doesn't seem to stay locked or unlocked when you want to. As the button spins, so does the lock. Seeing if you have the mod locked or not is guess work.

SUMMARY:

The BNV Tube is a good device to have in your arsenal. It's a no-fuss, functional mod that's good enough to be your daily beater. You can throw different builds at it without experiencing hot button issues — a very important thing for mechanical tube mods.

If you love an all-brass setup and don't mind the patina, the BNV might just be for you.

Interested in getting one? Go and join the Benevi Mods Group on Facebook and ask if there are units left for sale. Just want to give sir Richie Gazmen of Benevi Mods for the hook up. From what I know, they already have a successor to the BNV Tube. It's also an all-brass piece with full body engraving and a different switch mechanism. You might want to check that one out, too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GEAR REVIEW: ANDROMEDA RDA BY VAPING CHRONOLOGY